Frankston were gallant in defeat with a competitive contest against Geelong at Frankston Oval – Dale Fenney Reports

Geelong got the jump early kicking seven goals to one in the opening term and never relinquished their lead. But for the Dolphins after quarter time they kicked 9.8 to 9.5 proving that they can match it with a AFL affiliated side.

Geelong drew first blood with an early goal in the opening term. Frankston struck back minutes later with Josh Pickess scoring the first goal of the day for the Dolphins. Geelong closed the remainder of the first quarter out with six unanswered goals to take a 40 point lead into the first break.

The Dolphins started the second quarter much like the Cats did in the first term, dominating possession and forcing turnovers. Frankston didn’t hurt the Cats on the scoreboard enough until Kyle Gray converted a set shot goal just under ten minutes into the term. The rest of the quarter was goal-for-goal with Geelong kicking two goals and Josh Newman kicking one sandwiched in between the Cats goals. Geelong had a 37-point lead going into the main break.

The third quarter was a nine goal quarter with Frankston kicking 4 and Geelong 5. It was the perfect start to the second half that Frankston needed with Aaron Wilson scoring a goal within the first minute. Geelong replied really quickly though cancelling out the Dolphins goal. The entire third term was an absolute shoot-out with both sides scoring goals with Frankston’s remaining three goals going to Josh Pickess and two for Nathan Gardiner. Geelong had a commanding 42-point three quarter time lead.

If there was any chance of a late fightback Frankston needed early goals and they did so when Ben Wells converted the first for the term just three minutes in. Geelong all but killed off any chance for Frankston when Will Sexton scored a goal. The Dolphins continued to fight and take the game on which resulted in back-to-back goals through Nathan Gardiner and Jayden Cass. A late goal to the Cats saw Geelong take their lead back out with the siren quickly following. Geelong took a 37-point victory.

Next week Frankston will again have the bye due to the State League Game and will return Sunday 5th June in a big game against the Northern Blues away at IKON Park.