Frankston have lost another thriller as North Ballarat held onto a 7-point victory at Frankston Oval – Dale Fenney Reports

The Dolphins once again were locked in a dog fight with a scrappy affair in which North Ballarat held off a late fightback to win by 7 points. With the Roosters leading by 20 points at three quarter time, Frankston slowly clawed their way back but couldn’t take control. Congratulations to Andrew McInnes who played his 50th VFL game today.

It was North Ballarat who came up and kicked the early goals with two in the opening five minutes. Frankston fought back with quick replies by Jayden Cass and Josh Bennett. It was an end to end quarter with both sides creating chances in a tough contest. North Ballarat finished the first term with three unanswered goals to take a 20-point lead at quarter time.

Jackson Sketcher started the second term with an absolute brilliant goal from outside 50m on the boundary for Frankston. Frankston went on a roll in the second quarter with three consecutive goals in three minutes through Josh Bennett, Jayden Cass and Ben Wells midway through the term to take the lead. A late goal from Andrew Hooper saw North Ballarat retake the lead to go into the main break with a three-point lead.

It was a fast starting second half with Blake Mullane kicking the opening goal for Frankston after just 20 seconds. Frankston were hoping that this was going to spark them onto more chances but that wasn’t to be the case. The Dolphins didn’t score any goals for the rest of the term whilst North Ballarat piled on four unanswered goals which saw them wrestle back the lead. The Roosters led by 20 points at three quarter time.

There was some early opportunities for Frankston which needed to be taken to nail back the margin but they went begging. Frankston finally scored the opening goal of the term with Jayden Cass scoring just after nine minutes. North Ballarat had a quick reply just minutes later taking the lead back out. Frankston threw everything at the Roosters as North Ballarat played very defensive in the final quarter. Brandon Wood scored an important goal midway through the term as both sides played out a hard tackling match. With time against the Dolphins Clayton McCartney kicked through another goal at the 28th minute but it was too little too late. The final siren sounded as North Ballarat held out to take a 7-point win in a thriller.

Next week Frankston will head to Trevor Barker Beach Oval to take on Sandringham on Sunday at 2:00pm.