G’day to all and what a big weekend of football it has been, Interleague Final Matches, a Former Dolphin lighting up Etihad Stadium brighter than the lights themselves and a Wombat still on a high from witnessing a magnificent Bloods Victory, more on Nic Newman and his part in my Swantastic Weekend later.
Here’s what our Former Dolphins got up to this weekend…
Victorian Country Interleague Final
- Geelong Football Netball League v Mornington Peninsula Nepean Football League.
- On a cold afternoon at the Hallowed Ground of the M.C.G, Saturday 13th May the battle for the #1 Country League Title of Victoria was contested.
- Geelong ended up with a 5th Straight title prevailing at the Final Siren with a score line 16.9.105 to 11.17.83.
- M.P.N.F.L were represented with no less than 7 former Frankston Dolphins Players – these players were in Jersey order number.
- #3 Luke Potts #4 Joel Miller #10 Dale Sutton #12 Byron Barry #14 Christian Ongarello #17 Warrick Miller and #25 Aaron Edwards.
- Congratulations to all several named keep your heads high lads and hopefully will get another chance to take that coveted #1 spot.
- Special thanks to Michael Robinson with his assistance re the above game collating names and ensuring I did not miss anyone, greatly appreciated.
- Friday night saw West Coast Eagles host the Western Bulldogs in a highly anticipated game that was to not disappoint this time though Luke Beveridge’s team was not to get the chocolates going down by 8 points, West Coast 69 to Bulldogs 61.
- Western Bulldogs – Matthew Boyd 20 Disposals 3 Marks 2 Tackles 66 Fantasy Points.
- Essendon defeated Geelong 110 to 93
- Mark Baguley – 5 Disposals 2 Marks 2 Tackles 21 Fantasy Points
- Adelaide lost to Melbourne 66 to 107
- Melbourne – Michael Hibberd playing light continues to shine bright as he gathered 34 Disposals, 8 Marks and 107 Fantasy Points
- North Melbourne hosted the Sydney Swans at Etihad Stadium Sunday with the Swans prevailing 78 – 120
- With the game only 40 minutes away Nic Newman, while warming up, was still unsure if he would be in the selected side. Managing a quick chat for a couple of minutes, I made sure he knew regardless the outcome that we were all proud of him and to keep working hard and the rewards would come his way.
- I have watched Swans games all my life and with no shadow of doubt what was about to unfold ranks up there as one the best individual performances have witnessed by a player in their first senior year.
- Nic was named and made every single post a winner with a disposal efficiency rate of 82.9 %
- Sydney Swans – Nic Newman 35 Disposals 11 Marks 4 Tackles Game Leading 135 Fantasy Points.
- If ever there is a story of someone whose hard work has earnt him this reward it is Nic Newman, patiently biding his time and plying his trade on the rookie list for two years in the NEAFL before earning a Senior List spot for this season.
- Congratulations Nic keep up the great work mate.
- North Ballarat hosted Williamstown going down 32 to 123
- Williamstown – Josh Newman kicking a goal and been named in Williamstown best players.
- Port Melbourne defeated Western Bulldogs 112 – 81
- Port Melbourne – Khan Haretuku 3 Goals and named in Ports Best Players
- Box Hill Hawks defeated Richmond 116 – 94
- Richmond – Sam Lloyd 3 Goals
- Coburg 89 lost to Sandringham 101
- Coburg – Ryan Exon named in best players for Coburg.
- Subiaco hosted South Fremantle 127 to 88
- Subiaco – Leigh Kitchen 25 Disposals 4 Marks 4 Tackles 8 inside 50’s
- Lachlan Delahunty – 31 Disposals 6 Marks 4 Tackles 29 Hit Outs and 7 inside 50’s
- Sth Fremantle – Shane Hockey 26 Disposals 3 Marks 6 Tackles and 2 Inside 50’s
- Canberra Demons 42 lost to Sydney Swans 165
- Canberra – Josh Bennett 1 Goal
- That rounds out around the grounds for this weekend may your week be a great week footy wise and if not always remember in our great game there is always next week.
Wombat – Pete